Happy Thanksgiving!!

I wanted to take this time to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. 

During this time of year, I like to reflect on the meaning of the origins of the word “Eucharist" – in Greek, ευχαριστία, or in English- thanksgiving. Every time we gather around the altar and offer up the Body and Blood of our Lord and ourselves, we offer it up in thanksgiving to the one who created us and saved us from sin. I find this to be amazing every Sunday. 

When I was younger, I always thought Thanksgiving was an amazing time of year. The leaves were yellow, red, and brown; they also needed to be raked up. We played football in the yard with our cousins. We ate turkey, my mom's sweet potato casserole, kielbasa and coffee bread from Malczewski's Catering. There were green beans and other healthy food like that, but I do not recall them with as much fondness. It brings to mind happy times with family which always included watching the Detroit Lions. At Thanksgiving everything felt right and perfect. 

I may sound nostalgic for the Thanksgiving as a little kid with my whole family- maybe I am. This year, my wife and I are hosting Thanksgiving. It’s not our first time, but it is our first time in our house with kids. I think of the memories they will have with their grandparents and cousins, and I wonder what they will be nostalgic about when they grow up. Hopefully, it will also involve the Detroit Lions. 

As we gather around the table this Thanksgiving, let us give thanks to God for the opportunity to gather, eat, and spend time together. Let us ask God to bless the food, break it, and share it with us as He does every Sunday. As we gather as a Domestic Church, let us give thanks to God for allowing it to happen and let us remember it fondly. 

    

Comments

  1. A Happy Thanksgiving to all! I too get nostalgic over the holidays. The memories give a lot of love to last through the difficult times. A big thing at our Thanksgiving was a game of RISK. My uncle would say the blessing. Though he tended to be jovial, his blessings were always heart felt. It is good to remember the good times of the past ad to make new ones for the future!! But most of all, to thank our heavenly Father for the many blessings he has given us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Just Coffee

Hello APCL Community!!